Friday, March 4, 2016

Mother-In-Law Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

This recipe is the only thing I'm famous for, and it's not even mine. But I'm happy to share it! Every time I make these cookies, (which is about once a week! Ha!) I send up a little prayer of gratitude for Margie Cartwright. My amazing mother in law came to England to help us move in and add baby Alice to our family. She slept on an air mattress on the ground because we didn't even have a bed or a couch at the time. She bought us a full kitchen of groceries, made dinner, took care of my toddler, and not only made a big batch of these bad boys, but she left me with a bag full of dough in the freezer! She's an angel!

So when you use this recipe and make an exceptional batch of cookies, send up a little prayer of gratitude. That's the secret ingredient!

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup butter (I use a block of baking substitute from Aldi)*room temperature or softened slightly
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda (bicarbonate of soda for your Brits)
2 eggs


Mix it all up, then slowly add about 3 cups of flour. Keep adding flour until your dough sticks to itself mostly and sticks to your fingers just slightly. If you over do flour, you'll have harder, puffier cookies. If you under do the flour, your cookies will go flat as they cook and cool.

Once you've got your dough balance, add in those chocolate chips! As much as you want. :) Roll into balls and put them on a non-stick baking sheet. Bake on 175 C or 350 F for about 8 minutes. I like my cookies a little on the gooey side, so I take them out when they're just starting to brown. Let them cool on the baking tray for a minute before transferring to a cooling rack. Enjoy!


*Confession: I did not take this picture. I never take pictures of my cookies. They don't last that long. So I googled and found this picture that is the closest to what mine normally look like. Thank you baking blog people of the world.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
We are the Cartwrights! Paul and Melanie, Rachel, and Alice. We spent the first 2.5 years of marriage in the Salt Lake area, and we now live in Birmingham, England while Paul attends grad school at the Birmingham School of Acting. We love good movies-especially comedies-and nerdy things like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. We apparently love flying by the seat of our pants and having adventures! Most of all we love our Savior, Jesus Christ, and our Heavenly Father. We belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormon).