Monday, November 16, 2015

TOP 15 REASONS I LOVE THE UK

Note: This started as a top ten list, and I probably could have gone to 20+, but I didn't want Bev to think I'm obsessed. HA!

For Bev and in no particular order

1. London. I could live in London for the rest of my life. Unfortunately, I don’t... I will say that London is not like living in the rest of the UK, and you definitely have to experience both. But just walking the streets of London, I get a smile on my face-even in the rain. The famous monuments and buildings combined with the modern structures make me feel like I might bump into Queen Victoria or Shakespeare or even just a scullery maid from the 1800s. They were all there-breathing the same air… well sort of. (Also, you can find absolutely whatever you need in London. Anything. All of your wildest dreams come true in London. Like Chipotle, live Opera concerts during hot chocolate, giant toy stores, and free museums.)

2. Public transportation. As much as it is a hassle, I officially appreciate taking the bus or train. There’s something romantic about riding the train, even if you get sick. Maybe I’m just a sap, but it’s a bit like #1-you feel connected to the past, present, and future. How many hundreds, thousands, millions of people have ridden in trains across England? Now I'm included :)

3. Sabbath Day. I appreciate that no one expects stores to be open on Sunday, and if they are, it’s usually for shortened hours. Sure, it goes along with the fact that England has yet to grasp “customer service”, but it’s kept Sundays special. So high five, England.

4. Gardens. The English take their gardens VERY seriously. I’m rubbish at gardening, but I sure can appreciate the well-manicured lawns of the palace and the house around the corner. Plus, it’s so wet, the UK can support an awesome array of flowers.

5. Parks. On a nice day, everyone and their dog is at the park. I’m serious. Tons of dogs. And people. Even on a grey day, if it’s not freezing, you bundle those kids up and YOU GO TO THE PARK. Because you’re never more than 10 minutes away.

6. Pace of life. This encompasses a lot of things, but I’ll just leave it at this: I love that just keeping house and doing the shopping takes all day. Travelling takes more time. Everything takes more time. It means you only have time for the things that are really important, and all that other stuff just doesn’t seem to matter as much. Beautifully simple.

7. Boxing Day. Why doesn’t America do this?? It’s the greatest holiday. The day after Christmas, you just sit around, eat, play with your new presents, and spend time with family! No one expects you to do anything. Best day ever.

8. Holiday. First of all, vacations sound much more enjoyable and intelligent when you say “I’m going on holiday.” Second, there are like 36 bank holidays a year where the whole country takes off. So much more time with family and time to travel!

9. Travel. Of course we are much closer to the rest of Europe and the rest of the world, so it’s cheaper to fly anywhere (except the Americas), so it’s expected that you not only travel, but you stay up to date on current events in the rest of the world. (Also, you can actually trust what the BBC tells you.) There are many nationalities represented in the UK already, so it’s easy to be exposed to all kinds of cultures. For example, our street alone includes people from India, Poland, Latvia, Czech Republic, Pakistan, South Africa, and probably several others. I think I’ve learned more about world cultures and world history here than I learned in all of my schooling combined.

10. Free health care. I know it’s not free. The rest of the country is paying for it, but I sure am grateful we don’t have to worry about that for these two years. And they saved my life when I had Alice, so I have no problems with the quality of care. Would be nice if they updated to electronic records instead of handwritten paperwork, but let me just refer you back to #6.

11. Fashion! Obviously the Brits dress much better than the Americans. For one thing, they are 10 times more likely to be modest because of weather conditions. But seriously, they’re just fabulous. I could live in the charity shops!

12. Chocolate.

13. Health. It’s EASY to eat healthily since there are little fruit and veg stands everywhere, and the government is very strict about what preservatives and additives are allowed in processed foods. A lot less sodium. There’s still plenty of sugary options, but sugar isn’t added into EVERYTHING like it is in America.

14. Duty. The British have a deep sense of tradition and an awareness that they have a duty to their country and fellowman. They live in small spaces and moderate their gas and electricity expenditures. When driving, everyone has to share the tiniest roadways. The land is covered with monuments and statues honoring people of the British legacy. They may not wave the flag and recite a pledge, but you better believe they have national pride. (Also, they’re really proud of their rhetoric and humor. And the rest of the world just concedes that England is superior when it comes to words.)

15. The people. The friends we have made here are some of the most charitable, sincere, loving friends I’ve ever known. I’m not going to embarrass them, because they know who they are. But if it weren’t for them, I literally wouldn’t be here. I’m forever grateful.

1 comment:

  1. I just knew there was a reason for me staying here. Fifteen in fact! At least.

    Also, you DO KNOW that FHQ is always open? Doncha?

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
We are the Cartwrights! Paul and Melanie, Rachel, and Alice. We spent the first 2.5 years of marriage in the Salt Lake area, and we now live in Birmingham, England while Paul attends grad school at the Birmingham School of Acting. We love good movies-especially comedies-and nerdy things like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. We apparently love flying by the seat of our pants and having adventures! Most of all we love our Savior, Jesus Christ, and our Heavenly Father. We belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormon).