Thursday, October 8, 2015

How long can you live out of a suitcase?

Choreographing at Riverton: Clin arranged for me to choreograph “Once and For All” (Newsies) for their music review. I always love working with his students. Those MDT kids are so fun and talented, and they make me excited to think of new ways to use their talents and the space. Just love them!! And Clin called in a last minute favor, so I ended up choreographing a little routine for their Mary Poppins auditions! That was a blast. I am so out of shape though, it was kind of embarrassing getting so winded while reviewing. Oh well. I just love being on the other side of the table and smiling at all those nervous little performers trying to do their best! It’s so hard to give a score to each one, but I always try to give notes too, in case they seek out feedback.

Fun at Ggie’s: Rachel was a great gardener and picked lots of tomatoes and zucchinis with Ggie. She helped water the plants too. And when Ggie was having a rough day, Rachel said “I know! Let’s pick her some tomatoes!” So sweet. Rachel LOVED taking rides around the block on “Grom” (Ggie’s motorcycle). Paul took me a few times. I think we’ll have to get one eventually…


BYU vs. Boise State: Grandpa Wright was honored during halftime at the game, so the entire family was invited to come be a part of celebrating his life of service to God and country. Paul and I left the girls with Margie so we could have little date, and it turned out to be one of my favorite dates ever. I usually don’t enjoy football games, and I only went to maybe 3 or 4 while I was a student, but sitting just a few rows from the field, right next to the marching band, with all the family around, it was SO FUN! We got to go down during half time to stand on the field behind Grandpa, then we walked past the players over to the other end zone and met Cosmo! He gave me a big bear hug, then checked my finger and realized I was married. Ha! He pushed Paul away and tried to give me another hug before agreeing to take a selfie with us. Paul loved it, and he loved being a few feet from Brent Keisel. Apparently he’s a big deal? Also, the best part was that Caleb flew in for the weekend, and watching him watch the game was too cute. He was SOOO emotional. WEEPING during the final touchdowns. Leaping across benches to hug me or Ben. I just love how passionate he is! Then winning at the end and watching the fans storm the field was pretty amazing. It was a great night!


Songs of the Heart: On Friday, Sept 11, I got to portray Emma Smith in a concert at the Assembly Hall on Temple Square. I was skeptical at first-it was all about celebrating the hymns as the green hymnbook celebrates its 30th anniversary. But as we performed, it was a powerful humbling and miraculous experience. I feel so blessed to have been a part of it! We barely had enough time to get our lines memorized, and I completely forgot mine at one point, but Lisa and some help from the Spirit reminded me! I wish every ward music chair, chorister, choir member, and really every member (since we all sing in church) could have come and felt the spirit of the event. I have a whole new appreciation for the words and music of the hymns and the power therein. The stories of how the hymnbook came to be greatly inspired me, and I was very aware of the spirit working through me during the entire performance. At one point, I was sharing a quote and was struck with the thought “This is a real man who was truly inspired.” After the performance, I HAPPENED to be introduced to Crawford Gates who I quoted, and thanked him profusely for his offerings. I was oh so grateful to see family members and friends in the audience. Emily and Jessica Wadley, Andy Harrison, Whitney Peterson, Ray and a few of the Robinson clan, David and Allison Warner, Gayle and John Lockwood, Adele Parker, Dalynne and Barbra Grover, Grandma and Grandpa McKay, Mike and Nivea, and Mike and Jenn Christensen! It was a treat to also share the stage with dear friends-Lisa, Garrett, Rob, Maryjane, Alyssa, Amy, and Jared as well as the fabulous choir. I feel so lucky to associate with these good people. I was particularly uplifted by Melinda and all of her work for this project. Love her.


Isaac and Bailee’s wedding: We were planning on going to St. George for our last week in Utah, but we discovered we were invited to Isaac and Bailee McKay’s wedding in Salt Lake. So, of course, we stayed! Dad flew into town for the weekend, and we attended the sweet sealing where those two brave souls promised to love and serve the Lord and each other for eternity. I’m always renewed in my determination to be a better wife and disciple of Christ after attending a temple marriage. Then, we met Paul and the littles for the luncheon where our family was able to sing in the program “The Things of Eternity.” We’d been teaching Rachel the words, and she really tried to sing along with us! What an angel! We went home and did nap time, then met Dad for dinner at Texas Roadhouse. That was fun! I haven’t had a steak like that in ages! Yum! The reception was gorgeous, and although it was late, I had fun visiting with Anna and Mitch. So grateful for good cousins who have been examples to me for as long as I can remember!


Huntsville: Since Dad was in town, we postponed our trip for another day and drove up to The Gathering Place in Huntsville to jump on the trampoline and ride some horses. I was in heaven watching Rachel discover the fun of horseback riding, and she sat with me on Thunder while Dad rode Duke. We went on a little ride and loved every minute! The highlight of the day was watching Grandma McKay read some books to Rachel. Man, it doesn't get better than that.


Tuacahn/St. George: Finally. The REASON we stayed SOOOO long away from home, living out of a suitcase for an extra 6 weeks… We drove down to Tuacahn to perform “Our Story Goes On” for a packed house of people from all over. Dear friends came from Arizona, California, and Boston to be a part of it, and I don’t think I’ve been a part of a better performance. I was definitely worried about my kids-Rachel was suffering from some tummy problems and would not leave our sides. We hadn’t been able to bring a babysitter, so sweet Julie Robinson along with Lindsey Rich and Barbra Renouf helped as much as they could. Susan and Tia Robinson helped with Alice during rehearsals, and Kirsten and Clarissa Hofeling helped during the performance too. I'm sure there are several others I'm forgetting-it definitely took a village, and Rachel was still crying by the time we drove home for the night. Ahhhh… Anyway, I spent a lot of the time trying to help her nap, driving her around, etc. And I kept waiting for someone to say “Mel, we need you onstage.” Or “Get it together.” Or something… But all anyone said was “Wow, it’s great to watch you be a mother.” “You’re doing a great job.” During the performance, I was particularly aware of the sacrifice others were making so that my children were looked after and I could participate in this production that has the capacity to inspire and uplift so many. I was overwhelmed with gratitude at the opportunities I’ve had to share my talents through OSGO and the pageant this summer. And as I drove home, it hit me that after all these years of telling the family cast “Family First” “Take care of your little ones” and “That is the most important work.” I finally believed it. That message wasn’t just for everyone else, it was for me too. For me, the most important thing in this world is my family. When I have other responsibilities that take me away mentally or physically, I am grateful for a worldwide support system that will help fill in the gaps, but my first and ultimate responsibility is for the spiritual and physical well-being of these little ones. That’s my job, and I love it!


CHICAGO: Darren Hill!!!!! We made it to Chicago, took a taxi to the Palomar, slept, got reported for noise (oops), and then Darren picked us up and we drove around the city. Got breakfast at a little shop, then toured the Bean and the parks and grounds nearby. Holy cow, we loved it! It was a PERFECT day, and it was such a treat to see and catch up with Darren. (Our phones were broken by this point, so we had no way of contacting other friends, but we vowed we have to come back. We love Chicago!) We splashed around in the water, then made our way over to Maggie Daley Park where you could literally get lost in a Dr. Seuss type adventure land. Rachel and I went down a giant silver tube slide together, and we had fun climbing up silly looking hills, crossing bridges, and winding through mazes. Alice liked it too! We finished the day at Navy Pier where we ate lunch and strolled along the water’s edge. They were playing fun music, so obviously we had a dance party. Then we hugged the Brit goodbye and boarded the plane back to England!


Reflections: Although we loved seeing SO many friends and family members, shopping at Walmart, eating at all our favorite restaurants, hiking, swimming, and enjoying the land of the free, we COULD NOT BE MORE EXCITED to be going HOME. We may not be British, but we definitely feel at home in our little red brick terraced house. We sure missed walking to the grocery store and having dance parties in the living room. We missed fulfilling our church responsibilities. We missed cooking and eating dinner together as a family. We missed hanging our laundry out to dry... well, sort of missed it. We missed exploring the British countryside and hearing those silly Brummy accents. Most of all, we missed the friends who have become our family in England. I can't believe we only have 1 year left! My heart is already breaking, but we're going to put that aside for now and enjoy every second of every day!!

We stocked up on a few American items just in case, tho:


Friends: We visited lots of dear and lovely friends, and I forgot to take pictures 99% of the time, but I did catch a group selfie with Marci, Cheri, and Adam. (Also known as Mother Murder and Father Time)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
We are the Cartwrights! Paul and Melanie, Rachel, and Alice. We spent the first 2.5 years of marriage in the Salt Lake area, and we now live in Birmingham, England while Paul attends grad school at the Birmingham School of Acting. We love good movies-especially comedies-and nerdy things like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. We apparently love flying by the seat of our pants and having adventures! Most of all we love our Savior, Jesus Christ, and our Heavenly Father. We belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormon).