Monday, September 7, 2015

Danica's Wedding and Caleb's Birthday!

Although I'm still nursing Alice, my license expired February 2014, and I left my passport with Paul, I managed to escape to Phoenix at 4:30 AM on Friday morning, and Paul kept the kids alive until I got back Sunday night! I've never left the girls for longer than 5 hours, so this was kind of a big deal...

It was BEYOND wonderful to be able to be with Danica for that special weekend. I arrived Friday morning and we had fun getting our nails done with all the girls in the bridal party. We went to Cassidi’s house to hang out before going to the church to practice the flashmob for the reception! The church looked DARLING with all the suitcases, plants, clocks, baskets, candles, burlap, and gorgeous photos of Danica and Cory. There was a little picture frame with Sage and Cory’s grandpa that said “We know you would be here today if heaven weren’t so far away.” It made me cry! It was a beautiful reminder of the importance of the sealing power linking all the chains in the family. A marriage is more than just two people-it’s uniting the entire human family. Danica and I had some precious time to talk about marriage and family and the atonement that night. We played the piano and sang and then just talked until we couldn’t keep our eyes open. That alone was worth the price of the plane ticket. :)


The next day, we ate breakfast at Kneaders with all the friends from out of town, and since I didn’t have a car, I just tagged along with Danica and Cory running errands. I even had to pump in the back of the car while we were driving around… awkward. Anyway, Danica’s parents had to help move her furniture out and I ended up going to help them while Danica got ready. I hurried and curled my hair just in time for the sealing. I wish I could share all of what I learned in the temple that day, but suffice it to say it certainly was incredible. Cory was crying, I was crying, everyone was crying. You could feel the Lord’s presence as He witnessed that ceremony in His house. There is great symbolism in the fact that that Atonement was "the INFINITE and ETERNAL sacrifice" and we know that THE ATONEMENT and FAMILIES are central pillars in God's plan for us on this earth. They are the reason we are here and the future of where we want to be. Thus, a marriage-a temple marriage-where we come to the altar to sacrifice our wants and desires for the good of the union and the opportunity to become like God-THAT kind of marriage is our own INFINITE and ETERNAL sacrifice. The sealer asked "What is the difference between a temple wedding and a celestial marriage? A temple wedding is an event. It takes a lifetime-an eternal lifetime to have and maintain a celestial marriage. It is our daily choices that determine how heavenly our marriage and our LIVES will be."


I loved taking pictures outside with everyone afterward, and Danica’s friend Emily and I stopped by Jamba Juice on our way to the reception. It was so fun to visit with some friends from Nauvoo-Tierra and Bryson and others. I met several wonderful people, and I was grateful I was there to jump in the flash mob and help clean up after the party ended. Their friends really did a number on the car-I felt bad. I hate that tradition. I had nothing to do with it. And I know that Danica was really grateful I would come. I loved being able to support her on this part of her eternal journey.


I only got 3 hours of sleep that night, and I was EXHAUSTED getting on the plane to come home. I fell asleep before take-off and I woke up an hour later… but we were still on the ground??? Apparently a radio was broken, so they deplaned us, and I was so bummed. I was dying to get home to my family!!! (Plus I was so sick of pumping in airports, restaurants, the back of cars, even in the restroom in the temple… ha!) Well, a miracle occurred. Instead of taking the next flight which would have stranded me in Nashville with no shot at making my connection… I was given a STRAIGHT TICKET to New Orleans that landed me 1.5 hours sooner than expected! Wahoo! It was so nice to be able to read my book (The Symbols of the Temple by Ed Pinegar: I highly recommend it!) and get some rest on the plane.

After landing, I had a nice visit with mom, and when I got home to my kids, they gave me huge hugs and we rolled and played on the ground for a few hours. I just wanted to hold and kiss them!! I love my family. Paul was FATHER OF THE YEAR to handle all of that. He bought them swim suits that fit and did the grilling for the YSA pool party hosted by Grandpa Ru and Veep. Haha! Rachel loved riding in the backpack as Grandpa Ru mowed the lawn, and they all survived at least 2 hours of church. Go team!!


Well, Monday we had a nice day going to the park, swimming, eating at Voodoo BBQ for dinner, and then Caleb and the Cartwrights went to see The Minion movie. (which is not the greatest movie…) WE HAD THE WHOLE THEATER TO OURSELVES! So it was awesome!! We had so much fun eating treats, dancing in the aisles, and laughing together. Happy Birthday Uncle Veep!


It was sad to say goodbye to Mimi and New Orleans. It really was a dream. I miss it! But we are glad to be in Utah with other family members and friends here in Utah.


RACHEL’S CORNER:
• Loved dressing up in her princess dress (the dress my mom made for me!)
• Really got to know her McKay grandparents and love them. She keeps asking when we are going back to Mimi’s house? And is this Mimi’s car?
• Became a brave little swimmer
• Since we celebrated Veep’s birthday, she is becoming aware that she gets a birthday too! And she can tell you that it’s on January 2nd.
• I love her expressive little body! Especially her hands and face. She loves to use her hands and says “You can come with me if you want to, I guess.” Or “We can just eat some popcorn.” And if she is disappointed, she says “Awwww” and she hunches over and walks away “sad”. It’s TOO cute!

ALL ABOUT ALICE:
• Alice is IIIIIIN the Palace. (Uncle Ben likes to say that really high pitched)
• Her first word was “dog” and she loved watching Rocky through the tall windows into the backyard
• Really doesn’t want baby food as much as whatever we are eating. She wants to be a big girl!
• Her top two teeth have poked through, and it’s the cutest!!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I am so happy to know about Danica's Wedding and Caleb's Birthday. I am sure that both the events turned out to be really enjoyable. You know there was 50th birthday bash at one of the venues in Los Angeles and there was so much to cherish in that bash. From the Mexican food to the craft beer and beautiful décor, everything was stunning.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
We are the Cartwrights! Paul and Melanie, Rachel, and Alice. We spent the first 2.5 years of marriage in the Salt Lake area, and we now live in Birmingham, England while Paul attends grad school at the Birmingham School of Acting. We love good movies-especially comedies-and nerdy things like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. We apparently love flying by the seat of our pants and having adventures! Most of all we love our Savior, Jesus Christ, and our Heavenly Father. We belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormon).