Sunday, August 9, 2015

Wrapping Up Nauvoo--How is it August???


Last morning rehearsal: We did it!


Things I learned or experienced during the last two weeks of Nauvoo:

1. I got to take a private tour of the home of my 3rd great grandfather, Jonathan Calkins Wright. He was a great man who lived down the street from the prophet Joseph Smith. His life motto was “Duty: a hard road. No other road leads to anything worthwhile.”

2. I learned that Zion is founded on a few basic principles, one of which is trust that everyone is doing the best they can do at the time. It is beautiful to watch those around me--Alex, Paul, Kristen, and so many more--have that kind of faith in humanity.

3. There were a few opportunities to take offense or feel “pinched," and I regret to say that I allowed my frustrations to linger. I didn’t take the problem to the person, and I wasn’t able to come up with a viable solution to present to anyone. I just sat on those feelings and let them fester, and it really ruined a chunk of my “Nauvoo Experience.” In my life, I don’t think I’ve ever had so much trouble forgiving and moving on! This confused me since I was in the right place, trying to do the right thing, and yet I couldn’t shake this feeling! What I learned, however, is that:

A) My attitude determines 99% of how I experience life.
B) Sometimes you have to pull an Elsa and “let it go."
C) The Lord is so good. After all I can do, when I take my burden to him, he alone can lift it. And in his timing, he did.

4. Tender mercies are EVERYWHERE: One example. There was one YPM sister who broke her foot and was possibly going home, so I found a way to re-space things in the pageant dances until I found someone to step in. It was so miraculous how the Lord provided opportunities for different people to step forward. In Red Cast, Emily Pipe was a trained Irish Dancer so she filled in one of the dances and Aurora did another. Then Sarah Pond from Blue Cast learned all of the dances! I was joking with her and said “Do you want to stay the whole summer?” And she and her mother worked out a way to stay with their grandparents (who were serving as missionaries) and perform with all of the casts. What a miracle! She showed up at every rehearsal and helped in whatever way she could. She never over-reached, but was always ready and willing to help. I was so grateful for her. When Sister Spittle got a new boot and started to recover, Sarah never made a fuss about giving a few parts back to her. She really taught me about humility.



5. Elder David Warner taught me that there sometimes isn't time to fully prepare for every talk, every performance, or every opportunity to teach. What I CAN do is prepare myself to be as ready as possible. When I am open, willing, and worthy, then I am ready for anything--any opportunity that presents itself.

6. I really gained a testimony of, or renewed appreciation for, the power of prayer. People were gathered in small circles backstage, praying for each other or the people onstage, people in the audience, etc... It reminded me how frequently I ought to be in touch with Heavenly Father, and it made me feel a confidence in myself as others are praying for me. Kristen Metzger pointed out that we will continue to form prayer circles and pray for each other on whatever stage we may be on--all across the world. I am so grateful, because I know I have experienced the benefits of those prayers. I remember feeling them as I gave birth to Alice, and I am committed to praying for others--these brothers and sisters of mine--for the rest of my life.



7. I love this work! Becky Mace fell during our last morning-dance rehearsal and sustained a concussion, so Shanti filled in as Jane Benbow that evening. I filled in as Leonora Taylor during the dress rehearsal the next morning, and Becky was able to go on the following evening. I was so grateful for the opportunity to be onstage that morning and work with the family cast. It reminded me of why I love this work; I love the service that happens on and off stage, and I love the constant prayer in my heart that the lines and blocking will come out the way that is needed to tell the story with clarity and power. I love the feeling of unity amongst the core cast and the family cast as they listen and respond to each other. I love being drenched in sweat, my feet nearly on fire because the stage is burning through my shoes as I stand shoulder-to-shoulder with my brothers and sisters witnessing of the truth that is being taught. I love the miracle of forgiveness and the healing power of the atonement that is poured upon us as we share the gospel. I love it all!

8. For closing night of the Nauvoo pageant, Alex and I threw on costumes and took our little ones on in whatever scenes we could. It was so delightful to dance and sing and play with our little girls! I wanted Rachel and Alice to know that I was part of this work with them--that I love them and want to be with them both forever. Even if they didn’t understand all of it, I am sure they felt something. Tears streamed down my face as we sang with the armies of earth and those in heaven "The Spirit of God like a fire is burning." The gospel is true. Amen and amen!

9. Derek, Shantal and Eleanor came to visit for the last few days! It was so fun to see them and catch up a little. I’m excited for their new baby and adventures in Chicago and beyond. I can’t believe they won’t be there when we get back to Birmingham! Ugh. It makes me so sad!



Things Alice learned or experienced:


1. Alice stood up by herself! In the condos for just one split second she let go of the little foot stool she was holding on to and she was a free-standing Muffin!

2. Makes the cutest little “ooh” sounds and faces

3. Solidified some tan lines around the crevices in her arm rolls. Amazing!

4. Alice had her first ever pigtails!



5. Alice went on for the finale of the British Pageant with Stacia and Paul, and I took her on closing night of the Nauvoo Pageant. When she sees her dad or when music starts playing, those chubby little legs just kick, kick, kick!


Things Rachel learned or experienced:

1. Mastered the art of “freezes” during the pageant. She apparently made taco-tongue faces at Sariah while still “frozen” onstage. And she was recently singing “Beautiful Zion” and yelled “Freeze!” after the first verse. Ha ha!

2. Discovered that with different grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and friends helping us during the day, she has a lot of wiggle room in her discipline. We are re-learning our boundaries together.

3. She loved going onstage as Fiona Laird because she got to wear her cape and rock her baby doll. Definitely missing “doing good lines on the stage”.







1 comment:

  1. Oh, Melanie, this post just makes the tears run down my face. Thank you so much for sharing the lessons you learned this year in Nauvoo. I felt the Spirit testifying of their truth as I read them. It was so wonderful to see you and Paul and your darling daughters! I'm grateful we live close enough to visit Nauvoo during the Pageants each year. I don't know if the opportunity will ever arise for our family to participate again or not, and if we do, it will certainly be different now that our children are grown. The two years we were in family cast with our three youngest children (and one year with Ben and Sarah) were life changing for all of us, something I wouldn't change for anything in the world. Thank you for being part of our Nauvoo family. We love you!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
We are the Cartwrights! Paul and Melanie, Rachel, and Alice. We spent the first 2.5 years of marriage in the Salt Lake area, and we now live in Birmingham, England while Paul attends grad school at the Birmingham School of Acting. We love good movies-especially comedies-and nerdy things like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. We apparently love flying by the seat of our pants and having adventures! Most of all we love our Savior, Jesus Christ, and our Heavenly Father. We belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormon).