Sunday, July 5, 2015

Oh what do you do in the Summertime?

June 16, 2015

Paul and I found out a few weeks ago that we’d be serving in Nauvoo this summer with the Nauvoo and British Pageants. I was asked to be the choreographer for both pageants, and Paul will play Joseph Smith and George Cannon Sr. It’s been a whirlwind trying to line up babysitters, travel arrangements, packing, and logistics, but we are grateful for the opportunity to use our talents and share our faith and testimony.

Travel Log:

I got us all packed Friday night, and we hired a car to drive to London Saturday morning. We had a decent car ride, and Paul helped me get checked in. When we got to security, we learned that the Brits won’t allow anyone to go through security if they aren’t a ticketed passenger. (Side note: Paul has class and performances for three more weeks, so he won’t be able to attend any of the rehearsals/workshop. He’ll meet us in Nauvoo, just in time to teach the Red Cast!) So, we said a quick goodbye and I tried really hard not to cry… Then, I started through security. I’d called ahead to find out what I can bring for the girls, but they confiscated all my juice anyway and sent me back through security TWICE! (I might have cried again.) I was so stressed with these two babies, no husband, not much time to get to the gate, and an 11 hour flight ahead of me with no juice for Rachel! AH!!!

Anyway, I got a text from Alex and Pete (who were on my flight!) that they were shutting the flight in 15 minutes. I packed the bags on the stroller and took off running-pushing this mountain of bags, babies, and car seats. The signs pointing to “All Gates” send you in a giant circle around the airport, and eventually I learned I needed to go downstairs. There were too many people in line for the lift (elevator), so I jumped on the escalator and held the stroller up with both girls and all the bags in it. While I was going down I yelled across to a staff member “Where’s gate 21?” He told me it was around to the left and “all the way at the end”, so I took off sprinting. We didn’t want to fight through the crowds on the moving sidewalk, so we booked it past them. (Cue a bunch of college boys yelling “Get it girl!” and “Dang!”) We arrived just in time, and I asked if I could bring Alice’s baby seat to sit next to me. They said the flight wasn’t full, so I was good to go! Well, I hopped on and realized there was a row across from our two assigned seats with more room for Alice. Thinking there’s no way anyone is coming behind us, I just plopped us in and tried to get settled for the ride. Well, lo and behold, a group of three made their way to the seats, and we were outed. The flight attendants were so confused as to why I had my carrier if I hadn’t bought a seat for Alice, and after my mortification and the stress of moving, I realized I couldn’t keep any of our bags by our feet since we were now the front row which was an emergency exit path. So now I had no juice, no seat for Alice, no bags with the toys and snacks, and now Alice needed a nappy change. The nice lady next to me watched Rachel while I quickly changed Alice, and after take-off, I was able to get my bags down. The couple by us ended up moving, so we had a row of 4 to ourselves! Wahoo! The flight attendants refused to give me the infant cot because Alice is so big, and they wouldn’t allow us to sit or lay on the ground, so she slept for about 30 minutes on the seat next to me. Rachel did not sleep at all-the entire 11 hours! AH!!!! But luckily, Alex and Pete came up to chat at various times and Sariah kept us company too! We were well fed by the crew, and the people around us were mostly very understanding. During landing, some orange juice (from the flight crew-now in Rachel’s sippy cup) leaked all over our bags and out of the overhead bin onto our seats. Ha! Never a dull moment.




We deplaned, made it through the entrance check, got our luggage, and a nice worker helped push the trolley while I pushed the stroller with the girls. We made it through customs, and then tried to recheck our bags, but they couldn’t take the car seats, so I had to carry the giant car seat with me through the Vegas airport, through security, and to our gate. Eventually, I stopped to change Rachel’s nappy, and Pete and Alex caught up to us, and the girls had fun running to the gate. (The Johns had to wait in a really long line to get through Border Patrol.) They told me they met a man in line who had sat across the aisle from me on the plane. He told them he was watching me the whole time and was really impressed with the way I handled everything and never got mad or frustrated with my kids. It made me feel good to know I was somehow doing something right.

We ate some amazing British chocolate (oh how I’m missing it!) before boarding our second flight. I had a row to myself this time, so Alice slept in her car seat the whole way, and Rachel and I fell asleep during take-off, and we didn’t wake up until touch down.

We were the last ones off the plane, and the crew carried Alice in her seat as well as some of our bags so that I could carry a deliriously sleepy Rachel. We loaded up the stroller and got through the checkpoint when we saw Brielle running for us with Margie and Michelle behind her. I unbuckled Rachel who literally ran to Brielle’s arms and didn’t let go for a good 5 minutes. It was the sweetest reunion. Michelle grabbed Alice from her seat, and we all just stood there hugging and laughing. Ah! Heaven! Pete and Alex were with us as we all went down the elevator to be greeted by Emily Wadley! Could this day get any better?


After collecting our bags, we went straight to Ggie’s, took baths, and put the girls to bed! They both woke up several times in the night, and at about 4:30 we were all wide awake for the day. I held us off for breakfast until 6:30, and Margie took us up to the McKay’s at about 10 to visit and pick up the car. Grandma had an emergency appendectomy two nights earlier, so they were both exhausted and not quite themselves. It was hard to see them struggling and just realize that they are getting older. Not quite how I remember them. I went to sacrament meeting with Grandpa and the girls, but it was the WORST meeting of my entire life. I should have known better than to take two jet lagged babies… Rachel could not sit still the entire time, Alice kept hitting her head or teeth on things, and they both needed multiple nappy changes. Poor Grandpa didn’t know what to do. I left immediately after sacrament meeting to take them home for naps. We barely got around the corner before Alice erupted into hysterics. I realized she was probably ready to nurse, so I pulled over at a park and fed her in the car with the windows down. Amazingly, neither one fell asleep until we actually got back to Margie’s.



We had a nice Sunday dinner with Doug, Michelle, Brielle, and Ben came to visit! I took a nice long nap, and pulled myself together to get down to Orem for a music rehearsal. I’m glad I went, because it was WONDERFUL to see old friends, but I was exhausted driving home. I was terrified for my life, and I don’t have a cellphone that works here, so there was nothing I could do but keep driving and pray that I stay awake enough to get home safely!


Monday was spent playing at Ggie’s, shopping at Target (!!!!!!!! It’s been 9 long months) , and I took the girls with me to meet with Alex in Centerville for a bit. Rachel had so much fun playing with Sariah in the sandpit at the Larson’s. We were still not quite ourselves as jet lag, change of diet, and attempting to sleep in the same room affected our ability to sleep through the night.


Tuesday, we had a nice relaxing day, and I picked up my cousin, Miriam, to help me with Alice at our meetings/rehearsal that evening. We had an incredible staff meeting in the Church Office Building, and we jumped into a full Nauvoo Pageant run that evening with the cast. Wow! What a group. We were missing four cast members this week in addition to the one or two with occasional conflicts. It’s going to be a crazy workshop experience with so many people missing and others filling in for them, but we have the right people for the job. The 20 or so Core Cast members (those with speaking parts), and the small army of Stage Managers, Directors, Choreographers, and Technicians rehearse in Salt Lake for about 2 weeks before heading to Nauvoo. We will be in Nauvoo for one week before the first family cast arrives. Each family cast consists of about 150 people, and there are 4 separate casts during the pageant-each learn the show for a week, then perform for a week while the next cast watches and rehearses. There are also 20 or so Young Performing (Stage) Missionaries who are in Nauvoo all summer and dance in the pageant each night. Then there are about 20 members of the Tech Crew who work under, above, and all around the stage-building it, lighting it, lifting it, cleaning, switching, moving, and making all of the magic happen. We have a team of seamstresses working endlessly on the costumes, a small bagpipe band that rotates a few times through the summer, and a slew of volunteers for various lengths of time organizing, advertising, helping with babies and children, leading the frontier country fair, doing logistical paperwork, and so much more. It takes a lot to make this ship sail, and each one is blessed for doing it. I can personally vouch for that.
Alright, the rest of the workshop is honestly a blur. Margie would keep the girls in the morning while I slipped away at 7:15, then she would bring them to me between 1 and 2-dressed, fed, and sometimes napping. Miriam would come watch them at the Conference Center, and I would bring us all home between 9 and 11 at night. Although I tried to be present with my kids, I was mentally and physically needed in a million different places. It was a battle, to be sure.

Some of the highlights of the workshop:
• Rehearsing Our Story Goes On music, and a staging rehearsal with David Warner where we had a lot of fun exploring how to connect with each other and the audience
• Voice work led by Ashley-getting to know our range and resonance to project healthily
• Watching scenes by several cast members: Robin and Paul W had an INCREDIBLE experience, and we all did watching as well. Learned a lot about being OPEN and vulnerable. Truly listening. Testifying.
• Visited the 24th floor of the Church Office Building to learn about the work of the Priesthood Department and how these pageants fit into the grand scheme of bringing about the salvation of souls and strengthening homes and families
• Had a tremendous missionary and leadership training from Seth Hawkins about the importance of reaching out, particularly to the family cast members and people involved in the pageant. This process and product is for them too-not just the people that come. Also, I remember being touched at the importance of taking this work home into our personal lives, so that Nauvoo is for life.
• HOURS reading, studying, and praying about the themes of the dances, steps, principles, how to teach it all, and more…
• More hours spent meeting with Jonathan, Aurora, and Ray about how to approach the work
• Teaching a family cast of volunteers for the workshop performance of the British Pageant. What wonderful people!
• Lots and LOTS of work on the Nauvoo and British Pageants!
• Rehearsing Vignettes-I love them more than ever!
• Workshop performances of both performances: I got to fill in for Stacia in the British Pageant, and it was exhilarating! Stacia was cast as the same part I played last year, but she was playing LOTS of additional roles which I hadn’t really been able to watch or practice, so the rest of the core cast mercifully nudged and dragged me around to wherever I was supposed to be. I think I ended up joining the church in four different towns. Haha!
• Aunt Denise took Rachel for a nap and trip to the aviary one afternoon.
• Uncle Ben came and gave me a blessing when I had a sick day and felt particularly overwhelmed and lonely. I’m so grateful for the power of the Priesthood. It blesses my life continuously!



How is it that I feel like I learned more this year than ever before-in spite of having two kids hanging off me and coming in pretty familiar with all the material??? Miracles. It has already been a miraculous summer of healing, and it hasn’t even really begun! I’m so grateful for the family members and friends who have pitched in to help my little family. It honestly takes a village.

A little goodbye Cartwrights/happy Birthday Sister Pickett party:

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
We are the Cartwrights! Paul and Melanie, Rachel, and Alice. We spent the first 2.5 years of marriage in the Salt Lake area, and we now live in Birmingham, England while Paul attends grad school at the Birmingham School of Acting. We love good movies-especially comedies-and nerdy things like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. We apparently love flying by the seat of our pants and having adventures! Most of all we love our Savior, Jesus Christ, and our Heavenly Father. We belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormon).