Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Days Go By

May 17, 2015
A few memories to catch up on:

A few weeks back, we had a little family adventure on a Saturday. We decided to try Five Guys at the Bullring, and it was a HUGE success! We absolutely LOVED those hamburgers, and they were worth every pence.



After lunch, we walked from the Bullring to the movie theater on the other side of the city because we like walking these days. It was our first real adventure taking both girls to a movie, but I was DYING to see the new Cinderella, and I was determined to bring the whole family with me. Rachel sat on the edge of her seat through all of the adverts and previews. She LOVED the Frozen short about Anna’s birthday, and she even enjoyed 80% of the movie! It got a little long for her, so she needed to stand up and walk around a bit towards the end, but we basically had the theater to ourselves, so it wasn’t at all a problem. Alice was rather squirmy, but all in all it was a great success! I thoroughly loved the film. I so needed to restore my faith in the human race and in my own efforts to “Have Courage and Be Kind.” I’ve been singing “Lavender Blue” to the girls, and they love it.


A few weeks back, we had another adventure with Becky Mace to “New Life”--like Ross in the states. We got some fun summer clothes for me and went to McDonald’s for “Chicken Nugget Tuesday”. Mostly we just loved being with Becky!

We had more Becky time last weekend when she came to church in Harborne with us, then drove us all to the Mace’s for dinner! Bev makes the best Sunday dinners, and I made my Cinnabon Cinnamon Roll Cake for dessert. (It didn’t quite set in the middle, but we ate it anyway.) We took a break to visit the National Memorial Arboretum in/near Lichfield. It was the perfect sunny/windy day to go, and I felt so peaceful and inspired by the vast gardens and monuments to the fallen. We couldn’t see all of it, but I was touched by how much detail went into the planning of where the light would hit at certain times, how the size and shape of each plaque or sculpture paid homage to the designated groups. I particularly loved the tree with hanging metal leaves signifying stillborn children, and the wall with names of fallen men and women in uniform with a tiny slot for the sun to chase away the darkness. I even managed to conquer the park/obstacle course in my dress and boots… until I ate it on the broken log at the end. Haha! Oops. It helps when you observe the warning sign and tape.



We had fun catching up with the family and planning for the future, even though we were missing Jonathan. Becky was able to get an interview for her ecclesiastical endorsement for Nauvoo! We went through clothes together to help her pack for the summer. I just love that girl! I’m so proud of her. She is a great example of strength and courage in the face of adversity. And she brings us so much joy!


Alan drove us home, bless him. We just love that family. They really are family. They’re more than family. Ah. So blessed to know them!


We've had some epic park adventures over the last two weeks. I took the girls by myself, and we got caught in the rain on the way home without a rain cover. I had Alice in the stroller, and Rachel sat on my shoulders eating a box of raisins while we walked home soaking wet. It was hilarious! Rachel thought it was great until she ran out of raisins. It's all fun and games until you run out of raisins. Haha! It was worth it for the double rainbow and the snuggling on the couch afterward.


We were also able to go to Pete and Alex's sealing last week! WAHOO!! I've been to several live sealings (including my own. ha!) but this was maybe the most powerful one I've ever been to. First, Paul had to skip school, and we rented a car, but we didn't have a babysitter. I'd asked like tons of people, but no one could come or they lived too far away and stuff. I'd seriously been looking for WEEKS, and I didn't know what to do. Mom told me I should just call the temple, but I knew they'd say no. The temple workers aren't allowed to babysit. Anyway, we showed up, and just before we needed to go in the waiting room, I went in to ask the front desk if there was ANY way they could help. They looked into it, but they said they don't really do that sort of thing. I understand, but I didn't really know what to do. Well, while I was waiting for them to figure it out, this woman came out of the waiting room to talk to me. She looked familiar, and she said "Melanie? I'm your dad's cousin Melanie Edmunds!" I immediately remembered that she had visited mom and dad a few months/weeks back when they had the 8 cousins to New Orleans. She told me she was there with her friend for the same sealing! We were chatting a little too loudly, so the workers asked her to go back inside while I waited for an answer. Suddenly, she came back out and asked "Can I babysit your kids? I don't know Alex and Pete. I'm just here because I'm visiting my friend who was Alex's old Young Women's leader, but I don't need to go to the sealing. I would just love to play with Rulon's grandkids. I just know that's why I'm here!" !!!!!!! Can you believe it? What are the chances???? None. Zero. Zip. There was no way she was accidentally there at the right time and recognized me and all of it. It was no doubt a straight up MIRACLE. We quickly left her with the kids, and she had a great time feeding the ducks and walking around with them. No problems. They even called mom on the phone and Mom instantly knew why Melanie was calling. Crazy!


Paul was asked to be an official witness for the sealing, and there were only 9 of us there to watch, so I got to sit right near Paul with full view of both Pete and Alex's faces. It was so tender to see the look in their eyes as they made those sacred promises. You could feel how much that moment meant to each of them. Then they brought in the kids, and I started crying seeing them dressed all in white. It gave me a greater perspective and appreciation for my role as a mom, and it reminded me how grateful I am to be sealed to my family-not just until death do us part, but for eternity as well. What a beautiful promise! There really is NOTHING better. That is what makes life worth living.


The whole experience was a special reminder of how Heavenly Father is aware of the tiniest details of our lives. He knows just what we need and when we need it, and he has provided so much for our happiness both in this life and in the world to come. I am so grateful for His love. I hope someday I can be worthy of it.

Rachel’s Corner:
Parenting backfire: I always remind her “Sh! We have to be quiet.” When Alice is sleeping. So, when I’m singing a song she doesn’t like or saying something like “Please come here” or “We can’t watch the ipad” she says “Sh! We have to be quiet.” And smiles this cheeky little grin. HA! Who taught her that?
Loved playing with Sariah at the temple and talks about “go to America with Sariah”
Really enjoys making playdoh bugs, doing learning activities from our little school book, and helping me cook. She knows her colors and always quizzes me as we walk to the store “What color is that car? What color is that one?” Every. Single. Car.
Favorite activities also include: getting tissues for Alice’s runny nose, throwing her tiny foam balls into a box, watching “Baymax” (Big Hero 6), sneaking pretzels and raisins out of the snack box, and singing “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star” or “Cuppycake Song” as she pretends to put me to bed. (She learned the Cuppycake Song from Sariah)



All About Alice:
Had a runny nose for forever, but she never complains. Such an easy baby!
Had her first swing at the park and loved it! She’s always happy and content, but she was extra smiley, so we know she liked it.
Had her first ponytail!
Cut two teeth on the bottom, and we never knew! Honestly, who is this kid??? She never cries. I feel badly since she’s so easy going and doesn’t demand as much attention as Rachel, I don’t hold her as often. I really have to make myself stop cleaning or doing other things to just play with her. It’s a huge blessing, but I sometimes feel TOO blessed!
She can sit up, roll over, and scoot all around. She’s not quite crawling, but she pushes herself backwards and her range of motion gets bigger every day.
Fun fact: Alice is extremely flexible. She gets bent into the CRAZIEST positions. I’m rooting for a dancer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
We are the Cartwrights! Paul and Melanie, Rachel, and Alice. We spent the first 2.5 years of marriage in the Salt Lake area, and we now live in Birmingham, England while Paul attends grad school at the Birmingham School of Acting. We love good movies-especially comedies-and nerdy things like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. We apparently love flying by the seat of our pants and having adventures! Most of all we love our Savior, Jesus Christ, and our Heavenly Father. We belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormon).